என் ஆக்கங்கள் மீதான விமர்சனங்கள்

பிரபஞ்சத்தின் தினசரி டி.என்.ஏ குறிப்புகள்

Thursday 18 July 2019

The one that marked frenzy of a crazy writer

Soon after my first novel work, I did something for around 90 pages just for the fun of doing it.

I was simply 'David' of Alien Covenant, trying to create something just for the fun in it. 'Mudichu' was that 2nd novel and then this time, I wanted to explore, book launching menaces.

So I approached a publisher who read my work and came forward to bring it into a book. But then the novel 'Mudichu' was just 100 pages. Therefore, I included my first work 'Oppanaikal kalaivatharke' with 'Mudichu'. They together weighed 300 pages and with that page count I was ready for my first debut book.

That led to the release of 'OppanaikaL kalaivatharke' by Kaavya publishers. This was in January 2014.






This release was just to get a grip of Book publishing, publishing procedures, marketing stuffs, fill nostrils with the first smell of your own book and that divinish feeling and so on. Several sad truths about publishing industry surfaced and it was a good learning. I was in Chennai those days working for Capgemini Consulting.

Kaavya Shanmuga Sundaram had arranged for a book release function in the book festival that held in YMCA ground, Nandanam. I learnt something very quick in those days. It was about the rate at which I could create a 100 pages novel. I learnt that I don't belong to those who come up with one book per year. I have always had the writer's itch and writing a few pages was like having a tea or a soft drink in leisure. Ideas kept flowing in my mind and that gave all the motivation to write in wide variety of topics.

As far as I observed, ideas were keys and I was getting them at a much faster rate. So I never had the luxury of waiting for a quality idea to put forth in a book. Rather I was always bombarded with ideas and have felt the urge to put them in words so as to take the credit of 'first time in the history of ....' thing.

Therefore, I was not in resonance with the publishing industry's wavelength. The other thing was in the way I looked at things. It was not regular. It was not normal. It was way too far and much ahead. So when a publisher read my book, he was not always convinced with my work at first instance. If I were to publish my work with a publisher who got a perfect rhythm with my ideas, then, I might have to wait for years in a row.

So I was forced to find my own publisher and at one point, I was glad if I got someone published what I gave and I was able to point my finger to a publisher when someone approached me asking for one of my book.

'Oppanaikal Kalaivatharke' This book marked the frenzy of a crazy writer whose ideas, he is much proud of and claims much ahead of time and yet, mostly unread.